Followers

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Orf in Africa - Day 1



Today I met Lameck Mponda, my guide and project manager - terrific bloke who I hit it off with instantly. I learnt how to shake hands the proper Zambian way...quite cool. I met Miriam, the barmaid from 'Faulty Towers', Garby the barman from "The Spot',  Hans the mad Dutchman with his own safari tour business and Inga the German who swam in a local river and picked up some hideous parasite that has turned her legs into a festering mess.....yeah, not pretty!

I also learned today that the two dozen balls that I bought in Cape Town have still not arrived. Looks like I will have no alternative other than to teach the kids ribald rugger songs until they arrive : )

But, by far and away the most important thing I learnt today was that the local brew Mosi is excellent and only $1.50 over the bar. How good is that!

9 comments:

  1. Orf Bearing in mind recent results here in the motherland try not pass on any bad habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to remember that Browny : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I just posted something but I didn't!!!! Having another go.......such a technology queen.

    So long as the beer is good and cheap it can only go up hill from here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orf – what an adventure. I just started reading your blog. Stay out of the rivers, your legs are already too spindley ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Chris! Don't hold your breath over those balls, the postal service like most else in saf is corrupt. Thinking of you this wagsday... came 7th last event. Cheers GT

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Orf,

    Got your blog up and running. You might become the Alan Jon....... No no; the Indy Jones of African rugby.

    I'm reckon the kids there will be right into it. Once they get the scrummaging right in Africa, there is another set of forwards waiting for your assistance.

    Good luck with it and have a great adventure. I'll be following with interest.

    Cheers,
    Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Orf,
    The Kerns have put together a package for you to take to the school, Karen has given us an address but it isn't the school address. Before we send it can you check whether we should send it to the school instead, with the news of the footies not arriving, we want to make sure it gets to the right place in time before you leave.... We too think leaving a swim until you get back home is a good idea...Festering wounds - mmmm!
    Love your Guts
    Don x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, to sum up my feelings on all the above comments....

    Browny - no further comment!
    Wife - Beer definitely cold and cheap :)
    Moey - You Canadians don't even know what swimming is!!
    GT - Balls still not here
    Macca - Mate, Indy Jones'll do just fine....do you think the Wallabies will pick me up with my extensive Zambian experience?
    Don - Hey, I hope Karen sorted this out for you. Need to send to Lameck Mponda who is the co-ordinator. You Kerns are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. not surprised! another beer!
    Dont get drunk! but wow $1.50!

    ReplyDelete