Followers

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Orf in Africa - Day 3. First Day at Linda!

Fantastic Kids.....seconds before I was mobbed!

Local Markets where I bought a box of bananas for the kids



Locals doing what locals do
Orf and Joi - One of the four teachers for 200 kids


Hard earned Mosi with a couple of lads from Fawlty Towers...
Us and about 500 Zambians - Think we stood out?
My first impression of Livingston is the overwhelming warmth of the people. They love to shake and hold hands and they are nothing but smiles....not just with me but with each other.

First day at the orphanage today. I took along bananas because funds are low and they are running short on the maize porridge they feed the kids with twice a day. They were a big hit!

Rugby is about the weirdest game they have ever seen so coaching is going to be fun ..... Most of the kids are very athletic - they will pick up the fundamentals soon enough I reckon.

PS. Lost internet for two and a half days, so this post is old news now. Will post an update soon.

Cheers

Orf

6 comments:

  1. Well Orf you have out done yourself. Sounds like you are having a great time. For me it is back on the freeway and to work for the next 5 days.

    This will be a life changing experience for you. Hope the balls show up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orf let me get this right, you don't have any rugby balls so you hit the pub with a couple of locals. Hmmm situation normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are total cuties, I want to see you with a set of those braids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha....a bit too late, a local barber gave me a 'trim' and now I look like a white Zambian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still don't have the balls Brad....luckily we have dug up a couple of strays. Two balls for 50 kids is keeping my creative bones working overtime. Oh, and still a one or two with the locals after work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like you've met some new friends and are having a great time! and thats good that you bought bannanas! hehe trhose kids look happy!

    ReplyDelete